Socratic Seminar Introductory Level 1 Workshop
Socratic Seminar Leadership
An Introductory Teacher Workshop: Level 1
Increase student engagement, foster critical thinking, teach critical reading, and promote civility through dynamic classroom dialogue.
Teacher Workshop Objectives & Expectations
- Gain understanding of the history and philosophy of Socratic Seminars
- Participate in and reflect upon a variety of Socratic Seminars
- Lead a Socratic Seminar with colleagues
- Learn the knowledge and skill of selecting engaging texts
- Creating Opening Questions that spark student conversation and thoughtfulness
- Practice Socratic Questioning Strategies
- Understand the importance of balancing leadership and participation in a Socratic Seminar
- Learn and practice individual and collective reflection
- Recognize the power of Socratic Seminars to address Common Core State Standards
Who Should Attend this workshop:
Public, private, and charter school: Classroom Teachers, Teachers of English, Social Studies/History, Science, World Languages, Gifted Education, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, National Board Certified, Title I, AVID, Department Heads, Administrators; Community College, College, and University professors.
Meet and Share:
This teacher workshop is a great opportunity to meet and share ideas with other educators seeking practical ideas for engaging students in Socratic Seminars that address Common Core State Standards by increasing student engagement, and teaching critical thinking skills.
Teacher Workshop Schedule:
7:30-8:00 AM Registration Sign In & Complimentary Continental Breakfast
8:00-9:15 AM Introduction to Socratic Seminars and Dialogue
9:15-10:30 AM Main Seminar Participation
10:30-11:30 AM Main Seminar Critique/Reflection
11:30-12:30 AM Lunch- On your own
12:30-1:30 PM Socratic Questioning Practice/Text Selection
1:30-2:00 PM Opening Questions/Micro-Seminar Preparation
2:00-3:45 PM Micro-Seminars Leadership and Participation
3:45-4:00 PM Reflection/Debrief
4:00 PM Adjourn
Special Benefits of Attending 2017-2018 Workshops:
- Continental Breakfast
- Socratic Seminar Introductory Workshop Notebook
- Certificate of Completion verifying 7 professional development hours
- 1 Graduate Credit from Seattle Pacific University for additional $55 plus completion of out of class assignments; Payment required onsite
- 7 WA State Clock Hours, $15 onsite (Washington state certification hours only)
Registration Fee: $215 for individuals; $205 for Groups of five or more.
Check out all of our Upcoming Workshops.